Sunday, March 18, 2018

Playwriting - Part 4F - Character Biographies, The Internal World

If there's' an external world for characters, that means there's also an internal world. If you can think of more things than I've listed for external characteristics and want to use them, by all means, list them for your character biographies. The internal world deals with things that the character uses to identify himself, but other characters may not know about him at all.

What is the character's personality type? Is the character mainly introverted or extroverted (Remember, nobody is 100% introvert or extrovert)? Is the characcter optimistic or pessimistic? Does the character have a hot temper or does he bbarely have a temper?



What's the character's spirituality? This is not the same as religion as in the external world. What does the character believe? It's not where he does or doesn't go to church. Does he take his faith seriously or is it something he rarely thinks about at all? What about his morality? How does he perceive it? What about his intelligence?

Does he have any major secrets that others don't know? These could be things he has done in the past or they could be things that he is currently doing and hiding. what are his personal goals? He may have shared some of these with other characters and that is okay. However, they obviously had to start as his own. What are his major disappointmnets and which are the ones that disappointed him the most? And t hen what are his special talents? These can be spiritual, physical, intellictual, artistic, or any combination of them.

If you use character biographies, you will have a complete character by filling out all of this information for a character. However, there is no one right way to create a character. I'm not a fan of writing out biographies for characters. I let them form along with the story in my head and write out parts of the character biography for myself when I need it. I'll keep my character biographies and notes for each play I'm writing in a document that I save so I can open it and refer to it when needed. You can make a character biography for every character, just your main characters, or be like me and not bother creating character biographies at first and let them form as the idea for your play forms along with your writing in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment