Sunday, April 1, 2018

Playwriting - Part 6D - The Working Process, Not Being Afraid of Pauses

As artists, we are often afraid of using pauses. This can be especially true for playwrights because we don't want to keep the audience waiting. We want them to be satisfied.

However, having no spaces is far from realistic. Pay attention the next time you are having a conversation. How many times do you or your conversation partner pause while talking? What effect do these pauses have?



Of course, there can be some pauses that are extremely awkward, but in general, pauses are made when people are thinking. We have to think about what we are going to say next either in response to what somebody else said or what we are going to continue saying. If there are no pauses in a play, it doesn't seem realistic.

Of course, a director can tell actors to pause at certain points in the dialogue as long as the dialogue and directions in the play are being followed. However, as playwrights, we also have the right to tell directors and actors where pauses should happen. We don't have to constantly put pauses in our speaking directions, but there can be places where they are extremely effective.

What if a character said the following? Read it exactly as it is.

Character: He stared at me as if I had three heads, as if I had toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

What if it were the following way instead?

Character: He stared at me as if I had three heads . . .

(About five second pause)

Character: as if I had toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

Which one is more effective?

If you don't like giving a specific time for pausing, you can insert the stage directions, "(pause for dramatic effect)." Remember, pauses can be your friend. They work.

If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! A very interesting question... ;)

    ReplyDelete