Sunday, April 15, 2018

Playwriting - Part 7F - Creating Unique Dialogue, Using Industry Jargon

Another thing that can set characters apart with dialogue is that they may use "industry jargon" or "workplace jargon." Your characters may never appear in their workplace or with their co-workers and that's completely fine. However, a way you can set them apart is to let them use industry jargon if they have a certain type of job where certain phrases would be used.



When somebody is drunk, somebody that works or worked on a boat may say that they are "three sheets to the wind." A mechanic may say somebody that is drunk is "well oiled." A chef may say that a drunk person is "battered." Yet, for people not in those professions, they may have never heard those phrases. They would probably only use words like, "drunk," "blotto," and "sloshed." It is likely, though, that they may use other slang and regionalisms if those apply to the characters.

In general, people would say things like "I like your style," "I like your idea," or "I like your attitude." However, a person who works on a boat might say, "I like the cut of your jib." Somebody who runs a business office may say, "I like the way you think."

Think of people that you know. Think of where they work and the jargon that you hear them use. If it is okay for you to be in different workplaces for reasons, listen to how people in those workplaces talk. Pay attention to the little phrases and words that they use that you don't tend to hear other places. You can apply these to characters that have those jobs or if your characters are children of people who have those jobs, they may use the same words and phrases.

If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

No comments:

Post a Comment