Saturday, August 18, 2018

Theatre Hierarchy - Jobs in the Theatre

I am getting ready to do a series on theatrical jobs (or jobs in the theatre). Tonight and early this morning (because it is so hot during the day and because I'm usually up late into the mornings doing stuff for work), my sister started rearranging my desk and computer to how I want it. She is the one that decided to start. It was completely her decision. (So, sorry for the late post . . .)



Anyway, above you can see one image of theatre hierarchy. Below, you'll find more images of theartre hierarchy. There's always the general hierarchy in theatre. Sometimes hierarchy will differ by theatres depending on how they are run. However, the actors are never at the top of the hierarchy.

In many non-professional (and even some professional) theatres, not all positions are going to be filled by one person. One person may hold many positions. It is extremely important to respect those higher in hierarchy in order to make theatre run smoothly. It becomes even more important to respect those people when one person is holding more than one position.

You can find more examples of theatre hierarchy below:


If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

4 comments:

  1. I have so many questions.

    Why are the costume jobs gendered?

    Why are there versions where scenic artists don’t exist?

    Why is the Techical Director always the supervisor of all other technical departments? I’m more familiar with the production manager filling that role.

    What is the purpose of this exercise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just charts I found from different sources. I can't answer your questions. Obviously different theatres are going to have different hierarchy in some places - but in general, the producer, the director, the designers, then the actors are very last. I'm so tired of actors with such huge egos thinking that they are the highest people in the theatre.

      Delete
    2. And since when are the costume jobs gendered? I see zero evidence of that on these charts. When you write a blog, you have to pick he or she if you are using a single person. It isn't a thing of choosing one gender over another. It's a thing of not having a pronoun that is gender inclusive unless people are plural.

      Delete
    3. I've worked in theatre for over 36 years so maybe I can help.

      Q1. Why are the costume jobs gendered?
      A1. I think you may be referring to the staff in general. A lot of females in theatre are uncomfortable being dressed and undressed by males. Therefore there are more females and gay males in a wardrobe department. Straight males gravitate more to crew work.

      Q2. Why are there versions where scenic artists don’t exist?
      A2. Some shows don’t need them. That role maybe covered by a skilful carpenter or stage manager.

      Q3. Why is the Techical Director always the supervisor of all other technical departments? I’m more familiar with the production manager filling that role.
      A3. The technical director could be based at the venue dealing with lots of shows who then hires a production manager for a specific show.
      I hope this helps.

      For anyone looking to dive deeper into the world of theatre and want to learn how to become a sound engineer in theatre in 2024 this is a fantastic resource. It offers even more insights and tips for aspiring sound engineers.


      Delete