Sunday, February 18, 2018

Emotions in Acting - Part 2

When I was taking theatre classes at McNeese State University in order to earn my undergraduate degree in theatre, I had to work on different monologues for the degree. One of the ones I found was a monologue from the play Pizza Man by Darlene Craviotto.

I have seen other people perform this monologue on YouTube videos. However, what I find is that all of them seem to be extremely bland when I hear them.

This is the least numb of them that I've found. She obviously made a lot of different choices than I made. However, to me, it still seems like it is almost just one mood throughout the whole monologue, almost just racing through it.



Sorry that I don't have any professional video equipment and that my sister is not a very good videographer. However, neither of those are the point of this blog. The point of this blog is to focus on theatrical things. It is to focus on live theatre, the shows, the actors, techniques, etcetera. So, here is how I perform the monologue:



You can hear that I go from being calm to being annoyed. Then I'm not only annoyed, I'm angry. However, once I'm angry, I don't want to be angry, so I calm myself down - acting as Julie - who uses alcohol to solve her problems. So, I act as if that is what I am doing. I'm Julie and I'm using valid emotions to perform this monologue.

In my next post, I'll continue with emotions in acting and how performing this monologue in this manner came to be.

2 comments:

  1. I do need practice on my videography, no doubt. But it was also tasked with having an uneven surface to be upon, and having no actual tripod and having to improvise one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I, not it! Though I do suppose that in some ways I am an object, thus making me "it."

      Delete