Thursday, February 15, 2018

52 Plays in 52 Weeks

This reading plays challenge to read 52 plays in a year, is something that I want to do. However, I would want to replace the plays that I've read or seen with other plays so that it would be a good challenge for me. Right now, I'm currently reading three books at once (because I keep sa saying that I won't read more than one book at a time, but then I keep ending up reading more than one book at a time because of different reasons - I may forget to bring a book somewhere, so I pick up a different one if it is available or something interesting catches my eye, so then I pick up that book instead of continuing to read the book I'm reading . . . )

Edit: Actually, I need to read (or see) M. Butterfly. If I end up seeing the play, I'd count it, too.

Anyway, it has a good list, but there are a few I'd have to replace.

  • Our Town by Thornton Wilder
  • Hamlet by William Shakespeare
  • The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
  • Noises Off by Michael Frayn
  • Doubt by John Patrick Shanley
  • Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
  • The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
  • The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov
  • Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
  • Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
  • The Miracle Worker by William Gibson
  • A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
  • A Midsummer's Night Dream by William Shakespeare
  • The Crucible by Arthur Miller
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
  • Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes by Tony Kushner
  • for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf by Ntozake Shange (not yet, but perhaps soon)
  • The Bald Soprano by Eugène Ionesco
  • Fences by August Wilson
  • Machinal by Sophie Treadwell
  • M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang
  • The Odd Couple by Neil Simon
  • The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? by Edward Albee


I've surprised myself. I didn't realize that I knew that many plays. Obviously, these aren't even all of the plays that I know. I'm glad that there's also, this list of 32 plays you need to read. There are some there that could replace the listed ones above, although some of them are the ones listed above and some I still know.

Once I get into the challenge, I will update on how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment