Tuesday, December 10, 2019

How to Create a Brick Wall Using Rectangular Sponges - Scenic Artists' Tips and Tricks

There are times that a set may need a brick wall. There are various methods to make this, but one of the easiest ways is by using rectangle sponges and paint.


A brick wall behind Paulina handing Gus Perdita in Leo's office from Yet Another Shakespeare Rewrite or The Winter's Tale for a Modern Day Audience.
  1. Make sure that your scenery is laying down flat. You want to lay your scenery on a flat surface so none of the paint drips downward.
  2. Use some scrap or a paint tray to create a place where sponges are dipped into paint. You may want to use a paint tray like Wooster Brush 11" Deluxe Plastic Tray.
  3. Decide on your paint colors and make a puddle of the colors together. Start with the color you want the most of and put that into a big puddle in the tray. Afterwards, drizzle amounts of the other colors that you want included in your bricks. If you want brick colored paints, you probably want to choose reds and browns and maybe some whites and grays. However, you may want some odd colored bricks.
  4. Dip your rectangular sponge (or sponges of the same size) into the paint. If you don't have any rectangular sponges, you may want to buy some like Blue Panda Synthetic Craft Sponges.
  5. Carefully apply the sponge or sponges to the scenery in a straight line with each sponge evenly spaced. If you don't want the wall to look perfect, you do not have to be extremely careful withthe placement of the bricks.
  6. On the next line, repeat the same process, but with the sponges starting at about the middle of the bricks above them.
  7. On the line after this, go back to the starting spot in distance from the edge of the scenery was from the first line and repeat the process on the third line.
  8. Repeat the process with this on the second line.
  9. Keep repeating the process for each line until the bottom of the scenery is reached.
  10. Add the grout color if desired. If you want it to look like grout is between the bricks, paint lines with the color paint of your choice between the sponge markings.
  11. Let the scenery dry.


If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in-depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

You can also give a one-time support by tipping at my my Ko-fi page. It is much appreciated and allows me to continue writing my blog instead of doing drudge work in order to make the little bit of money I can to afford to take time to write.

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and as an Amaazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am also a Wal-Mart affiliate and in the rare case I cannot find the product on Amazon, I can earn from those links. Please consider purchasing from my links as they help me to live and help me be able to write more content for you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment