Friday, December 20, 2019

How to Make an Icy Lawn Out of Balloons - Scenic Artists' Tips and Tricks

If you need to make a set that looks like there is a icy or frozen lawn, making the frozen lawn is actually very easy. The only thing you truly need are balloons. If you want the balloons to stay put in the places where you put them, then you can tape them to the stage.


An icy lawn around an icy pathway.


In order to make an icy lawn, you will need the following items:
  1. A lot of little blue and white balloons. You can use bigger balloons, but the effect will not work as well. Of course, the further away the balloons are from the audience, the smaller they will look. You may want some small white balloons such as MOWO 5" White Latex Balloons Party Decorations, Pack of 200 and a couple of shades of light blue balloons such as Neo LOONS 5" Pearl Light Blue Premium Latex Balloons -- Great for Kids , Adult Birthdays, Weddings , Receptions, Baby Showers, Water Fights, or Any Celebration, Pack of 100 and In-JOOYAA 5 Inch Small Balloons 200 Pack Macaron Blue Latex Party Balloons for Photo Shoot Wedding Baby Shower Birthday Party Decorations
  2. Optional: LOTS of this white stage tape (gaffer tape) such as Professional Premium Grade Gaffer Tape - White 1 in x 60 Yds - Heavy Duty Pro Gaff Tape - Secures Cables, Holds Down Wires Leaves No Sticky Residue Easy to Tear, Multipurpose, Better Than Duct Tape


In order to make the icy frozen lawn:
  1. Blow up as many of the balloons as needed in order to cover the area that you need to look like an icy lawn. If you are a teacher and have theatre classes where kids can do this, get some volunteers, perhaps let them blow up balloons during class.
  2. If you do not mind the balloons moving around on the stage, all you have to do is let them go onto the stage.
  3. However, if you need the balloons to stay in the same places and just be able to move a little bit like an icy lawn does, then you will need to tape them down via the mouth of the balloon. Do this with small pieces of thin white gaffer tape. Having white gaffer tape will ensure than the set still looks like a frozen lawn.


If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in-depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

You can also give a one-time support by tipping at my my Ko-fi page. It is much appreciated and allows me to continue writing my blog instead of doing drudge work in order to make the little bit of money I can to afford to take time to write.

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and as an Amaazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am also a Wal-Mart affiliate and in the rare case I cannot find the product on Amazon, I can earn from those links. Please consider purchasing from my links as they help me to live and help me be able to write more content for you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment