Saturday, November 17, 2018

Explode - Theatre Etymology - Part 51

Most people know that explode basically means to burst open and usually to scatter pieces of whatever burst open all over the place. Of course, sometimes the word explode is used figuratively such as a person exploding with talent. That is still meant to convey that the person scatters talent all over the place.



The etymology of the word explode ties directly into its origin in the theatre. Explode comes from the Latin word explōdere meaning to drive off by clapping, or to drive away. It is the equivalent to the Latin prefix ex- which is a combining form of e and the preposition ē meaning out of, from, or beyond and the stem plod- which is a variant of the stem plaudere meaning to clap or beat.

This etymology matters because in the Roman theatre, it was common practice to applaud when an act was not liked. The applause was meant to drive an actor off of the stage. So, while explode usually now has a positive connotation when used in the theatre (unless something is literally going to explode when it isn't meant to explode), it has turned from negative into positive. It is now wanted that an audience explodes with applause because they appreciate the performance.

Some historians think that applause started as pausitive in other cultures ad continued and finally got mixed into the Roman culture. Others think that Romans made it a positive action by having an actor come out at the end of the show and basically say what translated to "Goodbye and applause."

If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in-depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

You can also give a one-time support by tipping at my my Ko-fi page. It is much appreciated and allows me to continue writing my blog instead of doing drudge work in order to make the little bit of money I can to afford to take time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment