Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Logie - Theatre Etymology - Part 43

f you hear the word Logie, if you are Australian or familiar with Australian television, you may think of it as the Australian television award that is given yearly similar to the Emmys. This award was named after one of the inventors of the mechanical television, John Logie Baird. However, in the theatre, a logie is a fake piece of jewelry.



There don't seem to be sources giving certain etymology. However, there are couple books that give a definition. In his 1864 publication, The Slang Dictionary or, the Vulgar Words, Street Phrases, and "Fast" Expression of High and Low Society Many with Their Etymology, and a Few With Their History Traced by John Camden Hotten, he claimed that the pieces of jewelry were mostly made of zinc. Then in his 1974 publication, The Slang Dictionary, Etymological, Historical, and Anecdotal J.A. Brown claimed that the pieces of jewelry were mostly made of tin.

Wordnik claims that the pieces of jewelry were made out hollowed-out pewter. Merriam Webster gives the information that the theatrical use of the word logie came from the name of the 19th century British inventor, David Logie. He sent the first television signal. Logie rhymes with the word hoagie.

If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in-depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

You can also give a one-time support by tipping at my my Ko-fi page. It is much appreciated and allows me to continue writing my blog instead of doing drudge work in order to make the little bit of money I can to afford to take time to write.

1 comment: