Saturday, October 20, 2018

On Cue - Theatre Etymology - Part 36

Most poeple know that the phrase "on cue" means to happen at the right time. The term is theatrical, although sometimes people only know of the phrase from other sources.



When the phrase "on cue" is used, "cue" is a noun. It is easy to confuse cue with either queue (which means a line) and Kew (which is a part of the city of Richmond, London). Cue can also be a verb which is the action that indicates when the next action should occur.

There are a couple of different possible origins for the word cue. The first is that it probably came from name of the letter q. It was thought that this was used in an actor's script to represent the Latin word quando meaning when. The second is that it came from a word that meant a long plait of hair or a pigtail which came from the French word queue meaning tail (a heraldic term) or the Old French word coue which came from the Latin word cōda and the earlier Latin word cauda meaning tail.

"On Cue" has become a phrase that has been used to name many types of companies. A few of the types of companies are grocery stores, moving companies, paging equipment stores, and production companies. The phrase "on cue" is likely to be a phrase that is going to be continually used because theatre constantly uses cues and the term has not changed. In the theatre, sometimes cue is abbreviated a Q. An example of this can be found in the comic strip Q2Q.

If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming one of my patrons through Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/TheatreGeek where I will be sharing more in-depth content, answering your questions, sharing which types of software I use and how to find them, and more. By becoming my patron, you allow me to create more content about theatre and more theatrical content.

You can also give a one-time support by tipping at my my Ko-fi page. It is much appreciated and allows me to continue writing my blog instead of doing drudge work in order to make the little bit of money I can to afford to take time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment